Located just a few minutes north of Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta was originally conceived by the Mexican government as a planned residential-resort with luxury villas that surround the area’s estuary canals that evoke Florida. Other residences are lined up next to golf courses. Many deluxe hotels and resorts line up its three-mile long sandy beach, and several shopping centers with all sorts of amenities (supermarkets, health clubs, cyber cafés and banks among them) complement the Nuevo Vallarta experience, making of this community a destination of it’s own.
In addition, with well-equipped marinas and a very social yacht club, Nuevo Vallarta strongly appeals to full-time and temporary Mexican and international residents that enjoy nautical activities, such as sailing, yachting and surfing. In contrast to bustling Puerto Vallarta, this area is super quiet and peaceful, offering luxurious privacy.
Nuevo Vallarta is located just north of Puerto Vallarta, in Riviera Nayarit, along the Carr. 200 Norte highway. From the highway, there are two exits that lead to Nuevo Vallarta, and a third one further north, in Flamingos. Public transportation is available back and forth through the day, and it’s proximity to Puerto Vallarta places PV’s amenities just a short cab ride away, and vice-versa.
Culture: Arts, Music, Cuisine
Given its location and layout, Nuevo Vallarta is particularly appealing for those interested in a laid-back, lifestyle, particularly relating to nautical activities and golf. A number of excellent restaurants have opened their doors in recent years, offering a variety of world cuisines that rival those in Puerto Vallarta proper. An increasing number of venues complement the night-time experience with live entertainment, music, and so forth.
Neighborhoods & Neighboring Regions
Nuevo Vallarta is located just north of the Ameca River. Between the river and Nuevo Vallarta, the small town of Jarretaderas features a couple of Mexican-style seafood restaurants worth exploring. Just north of Nuevo Vallarta lies Flamingos, a similar planned community with its own golf course and resorts. Across from the highway, communities such as Valle Dorado and Mezcales are favored by locals who seek more affordable living and housing options.
Landmarks, Sights & Activities
- The Paradise Village Marina offers world-class berthing facilities. It is home to the Vallarta Yacht Club and host to a variety of nautical competitions that form part of the annual Nautical Extravaganza.
- The Paradise Village resort also features its own zoo, very popular with children!
- Three shopping plazas (3.14, Paradise Plaza, and Nuevo Vallarta Plaza) offer a variety of shops and excellent restaurants. Across the highway, Plaza Lago Real features a Walmart and several movie theaters.
- First Class bus lines Primera Plus and ETN now feature their own terminals in Nuevo Vallarta.
- Children love to explore the small zoo located within Paradise Village.
- Accessible from the highway, the El Cora Crocodile Farm features a small restaurant and the opportunity to safely experience crocodiles up close.
- Enjoy the increasing number and variety of restaurants in Nuevo Vallarta!
- With limited public access, Nuevo Vallarta beach serves the hotels and developments in Nuevo Vallarta, including Paradise Village and Grand Velas, among others.
Where to Stay
A number of high-end resorts and all-inclusive hotels provide visitors many lodging options in Nuevo Vallarta.
The mega development of Nuevo Vallarta is known best for the full spectrum of real estate homes and condominiums it has to offer, and easy access to all areas of the Bay. Nuevo Vallarta real estate consists of homes and condominiums situated along the longest beach in the bay, the fairways of two golf courses (Mayan and El Tigre-Paradise Village), along the canals of Nuevo Vallarta and as well around the two marinas.
There are fairway homes and condos, beachfront homes (but mostly condos) and canal-side opportunities. If access to the ocean is important to you, as well as golf, this area is probably your best option. Prices are mid-range for the most part, and there’s plenty to choose from.
Regular Important Events
- Nautical Extravaganza, a month’s worth of international nautical competitions in several disciplines, including sailing, surfing and kiteboarding, takes place on March.
- Several important golf tournaments are scheduled through the year.