Quick Facts about Medical Tourism in Puerto Vallarta
Medical tourism is often understood as people traveling abroad for the specific purpose of taking advantage of the hospital infrastructure in another country. However, both in Puerto Vallarta and Riviera Nayarit, this concept is redefined, thanks to the vast community of expatriates and winter residents from the United States and Canada who do not travel specifically for that purpose but may need medical attention.
Did you know?
- Most travelers insurance covers only emergency situations while the person is vacationing at the destination. Only some of them include air evacuation policies, which can be purchased separately in short-, medium- and long-term plans. Some of these services are SkyMed and MedjetAssist.
- There are medical tourism policies that provide greater coverage than travelers insurance. In Puerto Vallarta, Novamar Insurance Mexico offers plans that include direct payment to hospitals and doctors, bilingual care and full coverage in Mexico, USA, Canada and Europe. Many other insurance companies like AXA, MetLife, Zurich and Mapfre, among others, offer coverage and insurance plans in Puerto Vallarta and Mexico.
- According to a study by Patients Beyond Borders, Mexico has in recent years come into its own as a global healthcare hub and patients traveling to Mexico for medical care can save between 40 and 65 percent on their procedures and treatments.
Below we present some data that might interest those who wish to take advantage of this benefit our destination offers.
Hospitals in Banderas Bay
(More than 25 medical specialties)
- San Javier Marina (Puerto Vallarta) – sanjavier.com.mx
- San Javier Riviera (Nuevo Vallarta) – sanjavier.com.mx
- Medasist (Puerto Vallarta) – hospitalmedasist.com
- CMQ (Puerto Vallarta) – hospitalcmq.com
- CMQ Premiere (Puerto Vallarta) – hospitalcmq.com
- Vallarta Medical Center (Puerto Vallarta) – vallartamedicalcenter.mx
- Hospiten (Puerto Vallarta) – hospiten.com
Top Five Medical Services Sought by Foreigners
- Bariatric Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Orthopedic Procedures
- Cataract Surgery
- Treatment for Lyme Disease
Other Frequently Sought Services
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging