Join the Banderas Bay Trash Challenge
Puerto Vallarta and Riviera Nayarit non-governmental organizations are working together with the Riviera Nayarit Convention and Visitors Bureau (CVB) and the Commission for Natural Protected Areas (Conanp by its acronym in Spanish) to organize the Banderas Bay Trash Challenge, a clean-up campaign to take place September 23 – 29, that has the aim of contributing to the conservation of the Natural Protected Areas within the bay.
Businesses, families, civil associations and governmental organizations are invited to join this initiative and raise awareness of the health problems caused by solid waste, as well as the importance of recycling and sorting waste properly.
There are two options to participate in this clean-up campaign: the Banderas Bay Trash Challenge (September 23 -29) and the “Let’s Clean Up our Bay” Marathon (Sunday, September 29). Find below the participation rules of each one:
Banderas Bay Trash Challenge
- Make arrangements with your family, friends or neighbors and choose a place in your area to clean using large bags for garbage.
- Separate the trash by categories as you pick up: plastics, metals, non-recyclable waste (plastic bags, straws, diapers, six-pack rings, snack bags, etc.), cigarette butts, bottle caps and batteries.
- Take pictures and video before and after the cleanup.
- Post your video on Facebook with the hashtag #BasuraChallengeBB.
- At the end of the video, show or mention the number of bags you filled.
- Take your bags to the collection centers near your community (these will be announced soon).
Let’s Clean Up our Bay Marathon
- The cleanup will take place from 8:00am – 10:00am.
- Locate the starting points in each area. Participating communities in the Riviera Nayarit include San Pancho, Sayulita, Higuera Blanca, Litibú, Carreyeros, Punta de Mita, La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, Bucerías, Nuevo Vallarta, San Vicente, Valle de Banderas, Valle Dorado and San José del Valle. Participating communities in Puerto Vallarta include Las Palmas de Arriba, Ixtapa, Las Juntas, Puerto Vallarta, Mismaloya and Boca de Tomatlán.
- Make teams and go to the closest site.
- Follow the instructions given by the brigade leader. All materials for the cleanup will be provided to you. Arrive 15 minutes early.
- Wear a hat and comfortable clothes.
- There will be water for participants at the meeting point. Bring your container.
If you would like to participate as a community leader or register your community, please call (322) 209-1021 and (322) 221-3549 Monday to Friday from 9am – 6pm for more information.