Hike from Boca de Tomatlán to Las Ánimas
The small fishing village of Boca de Tomatlán is Puerto Vallarta’s South Shore water taxi departure point, with small motor boats or “pangas” traveling regularly to some of the most secluded beaches in the bay, including Las Animas and Quimixto. You can easily reach both these destinations by boat in less than 15 minutes, after which you will be able to relax under a palapa, enjoy a hearty Mexican lunch and a cold cerveza. For the nature explorer at heart, in order to truly take in the lushness of our tropical surroundings, consider the two-hour hike from Boca de Tomatlán to Las Animas. If you leave early enough, you’ll get there with plenty of time to enjoy a rewarding meal, take a dip in the ocean and catch an afternoon panga back to Boca de Tomatlán (approximately $6 USD per person). The hike includes a fair amount of climbing, so do not attempt it unless you are an experienced hiker. And remember to carry bottled water and bug spray in your backpack!
- Reach Boca de Tomatlán in 30 minutes from Puerto Vallarta by car or bus.
- Once at Boca, go upstream along the river until you come across a footbridge that will take you to the other side.
- Follow the path along the river back toward the ocean.
- The path will eventually become a trail through the mountainside.
- Halfway through the hike, you will reach Colomitos Beach.
- The path continues after Colomitos, eventually reaching the beach at Las Animas.